Saturday, August 20, 2011

At the Buzzer!!

Yes, yes, I'm a little late, I know. But as they say, 'Better late than never!'

Here's a fun fact.

From The Raw Story: Court: Appeal to assassinate Obama is protected speech

America! Fuck Yeah!

A federal appeals court ruled last month in a vote of 2-1 that the wild and racist comments of one man on a Yahoo! finance website, saying "[Obama] will have a 50 cal in the head soon," and later, "shoot the nig", were not grounds for the charges of threatening he was facing. Probably not the most touching and heart-melting thing you've ever heard, but in the words of Voltaire, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Ultimately, the ruling was decided based on the fact that the standing law does not prohibit "predictions or exhortations" to violence.
Exhortation: noun
1. the act or process of exhorting. (Helpful, I know...)

2. an utterance, discourse, or address conveying urgent advice or recommendations.
Yeah. I needed that one defined, too.

But anyway, there's your fun fact for the day. It isn't illegal to predict or recommend that someone plug a .50 caliber round into the president's head. Even if you get caught with the weaponry in your own home. Call me a liberal, but part of me is kind of surprised this case wasn't brought to national light during the Bush administration. I know a lot more people that man pushed to the point of frequent blind rage.

Either way, get your kicks in now kids. Like the article says, it's not illegal according to standing law. Something tells me this little hole is going to close up some time soon. And I doubt the news will make headlines when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment